The combo of rice and spicy masala makes the biriyani a flavourful complete meal.Trust me it is not a Herculean task to prepare a biriyani.This time when I declared I'm gonna prepare an easy peasy biriyani within minutes (ooops !!!!!exaggeration only),my hubby came to help me.He made a mess in the kitchen but still helped me in frying the onion cashew and kismis (check the pics..:P).Believe me it is so easy...So I love to call this biriyani as bachelors biriyani...
Already I have posted an easy pressure cooker biriyani recipe but both are entirely different in taste!!!!!!
Serving size : 3-5
- Chicken : 500 gm
- Curd : 2 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tspn
For Rice :
- Basmati rice : 2 cup
- Onion sliced : 1/4 cup
- Cinnamon / patta: 1 stick
- Cardamom / elakka : 2
- Cloves / grampoo : 3
- Lemon juice : 1 tspn
- Hot water : 3 cup
- Ghee : 2 tblspn
For Masala :
- Onion sliced : 4
- Ginger : 1" piece
- Garlic : 8 cloves
- Green chilly : 2
- Tomato chopped : 1
- Garam masala : 1 tspn
- Coriander leaves : fist full
- Mint leaves : fist full
- Oil / ghee
- Fried cashew : 5-8
- Fried kismis : 1.5 tblspn
- Fried onion : 1/4 cup
- Garam masala : 1/2 tspn
- Coriander leaves, Mint leaves : 1/2 cup
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain it and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee.Add cinnamon (patta), cloves(grampoo) and cardamom(elakka).Add sliced onion and fry it for a few minutes.
- Now add drained rice and saute it well till it becomes crispy.
- Add hot water (3 cups) and mix it well.
- Now add salt and lemon juice.
- Close the cooker with its lid and keep it on a high flame till the first whistle.
- Switch off the stove and when the pressure goes off, fluff up the rice gently.
- Marinate the cleaned chicken pieces with curd, turmeric powder and chilly powder. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Make a paste of green chilly, ginger and garlic. Set aside.
- Slice the onion and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil / ghee
- Now add the sliced onion to the pan.Saute it well
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute it well.
- Now add ginger, garlic, green chilly paste and saute it well till the raw smell leaves.
- Add mint and coriander leaves.
- Now add garam masala powder.
- Add marinated chicken pieces and mix it well with all other ingredients.
- Now add enough water and cook it on a medium flame.
- Cook it either in pressure cooker or in a pan.If you are using cooker you can save time and gas.One whistle is enough.Add 1/4 cup of water while cooking chicken
To garnish :
- Heat a pan with ghee
- Fry both cashews and kismis .Drain it and keep aside.
- Take 1/4 cup of onion and fry it in oil. keep it separately with fried cashews and kismis.
How to make dum :
- Take a biriyani pot or vessel.
- Add one layer of chicken masala.
- Now add one layer of cooked rice.
- Add a few fried cashews, kismis and fried onion.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- Repeat the same for the remaining rice and chicken masala.
- Now close the pot with its lid and you can make a seal with maida dough too.
- Keep it on a hot tawa .
- Keep the stove in simmer mode for 20 minutes.
- Now open the biriyani pot. Yea, you will feel heavenly with the pleasant smell of biriyani.
- Serve it with raita, pickle, papad.
sending this to delectable flavours