This dish doesn't need an introduction to Keralites.Combination of tapioca and beef is really heavenly only..Yea tapioca with fish also is a popular dish in Kerala.During my hostel days we used to buy this dish from "thattukada" (road side shop) and enjoyed it a lot.
- Kappa / Tapioca : 1 kg
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
For beef masala :
- Beef : 1/2 kg
- Cinnamon : 1 stick
- Clove : 4
- Cardamom : 2
- Onion chopped : 2
- Ginger : 1" piece
- Garlic : 10 cloves
- Coriander powder : 2 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1tblspn + 1 tspn
- Garam masla powder : 2 tspn
To temper :
- Fennel seeds / perumjeerakam : 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Curry leaves : 2 springs
- Coconut oil
- peel the tapioca and cut in to medium sized chunks.Wash it and pressure cook with salt and turmeric powder for one whistle.While pressure cooking add enough water ie,just above the level of tapioca.
- Drain the tapioca chunks wash it again and keep aside.
- Clean and cut the beef in to small pieces.Pressure cook it with salt , turmeric powder ,1 tspn chilly powder,cinnamon,cardamom and clove.Set aside.
- Now heat a pan with oil.Add all the ingredient listed under "to temper"
- Now add chopped onion and saute it well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it again till it leaves the raw smell.
- Now add chilly powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder.Mix it well.
- Add cooked beef and mix it again
- Add cooked tapioca and if need add 1/4 cup of water.Close the pan and cook it in a low flame for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Yummy kappayum erachiyum is ready to serve.