Mathanga vanpayar erissery/Pumpkin and cowpea in coconut gravy
Kerala cusine is blessed with a wide veriety of coconut flavoured dishes..It ia an important dish that we cant avoid while preparing sadya(feast).Did you check my Padavalanga parippu erissery ?
Pumpkin / mathanga (cubed) : 1 cup
Cow pea /vanpayar : 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
Chilly powder : 1/2 tspn
Coconut (grated) : 1/2 cup
Cumin sees / jeerakam : 1/2 tspn
Garlic : 1 clove(optional)
Green chilly : 3
- Mustard seeds : 1/4 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Grated coconut:3 tblspn
- Curry leaves : 2 springs
- Coconut oil
- Soak cow pea over night and pressure cook it with salt turmeric powder and red chilly powder.
- Once the pressure settles add cubed pumkin pieces and cook till the pumpkin turns soft.
- Now grind all the ingredients listed under "to grind".Don't add more water to grind .
- Mix the ground paste with cooked pumkin and cowpea.The gravy should be thick.
- Heat the pan with oil and add mustard .When it starts to splutter add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Now add grated coconut and fry it till it turn golden brown in colour
- Pour it to the erissery.
- Sprinkle little oil over the curry
- Yummy kerala erissery is ready