Im a die hard fan of karimeen :) whenever going to Kerala I used to force my hubby to buy some fresh karimeen..But this time I got enough time to cook and click for my blog. I tried both fry and roast with pearl spot:)
Karimeen pollichathu is a local delicacy of Alappuzha ,Venice of the East..,a beautiful district in Kerala.We are blessed with loads of canals and backwaters .So fish prawns and Clams are available in our area and used to make different dishes with these things.Alleppey style fish curry is one of the most popilar recipe and off course clams recipe too.Did you check my clams recipes ?Tapioca and clam is my favourite dish just like karimeen poliichathu :)
Karimeen pollichathu tastes heavenly.. The belnded taste of coconut milk coconut oil shallots and aroma of banana leaf together will give a feast to your taste buds :)..
- Karimeen / Pearl spot : 2 big
- Lemon juice : 2 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
- Coconut oil
For masala :
- Shallots / Kochulli sliced : 2 cups
- Ginger chopped : 1/2 "piece
- Garlic chopped : 10 cloves
- Tomato chopped : 1 big
- Coriander powder : 1/2tblspn
- Chilly powder : 1tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Coconut milk : 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves : 3 springs
- Coconut oil
- Banana leaf : 2
- Fiber from banana tree to tie the fish (vazhanaaru)
- Clean the fish and make narrow slits on the side.Marinate it with all the ingredients listed under "for marination" except oil.
- Keep it aside for half an hour.
- Heat a pan with oil and fry the marinated fish.Don't make it too crispy.
- To the same oil add sliced shallots , curry leaves ginger, and onion.Saute it well.
- Now add chopped tomato and saute it well till it become soft.
- Now add in coriander powder chilly powder turmeric powder and salt .
- Mix it well
- Add in thick coconut milk and mix it well in low flame.
- Switch off the stove and keep the garvy aside.Gravy should be thick in consistency
- Now take tha banan leaf wash it well
- Hold it over the flame for few seconds som that we can wrap it easily.
- Now place little masala on the wilted leaf and spread it with spoon
- Now keep the fried fish on it and make another layer of masala on the top.Now wrap the banana leaf just like parcel and tie it with fiber obtained from banan tree.
- Keep it on a clay pot greased with oil and cover it with lid.(you may use non stick kadai )
- Keep it on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Now yummy delicious karimeen pollichathu is ready to open :)
- Enjoy with hot rice or whatever you like