I used to prepare travancore style sambar only.When I reached Chennai started trying Tamilnadu style.But never tried this version.When my friend Divya started tempting me by saying about this sambar I decided to try it one day.!I took recipe from her and kept in my book for long time.Once went to my hubbys aunts home she served us the same sambar and I saw that both my hubby and kid are enjoying it very well.The next day i decided to try it and it ended up with a super tasty sambar ...
It is a tasty dish and you can serve it with idly dosa and rice.Due to health issues it is better to avoid coconut in gravies but at least once in a while you can try this.
- Thuvara parippu / Thoor dal : 1/2 cup
- Small onion : 10
- Carrot cubed : 5 pieces(optional)
- Potato cubed : 1 small
- Ladies finger/ vendakka : 2-3(cut in to 1" pieces )
- Drumstick / muringakkaya : 1small cut in to 2" pieces
- Tomato sliced : 1
- Tamarind / puli : gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
- Coriandr leaves chopped : 2 tblspn
To roast and grind :
- Coconut grated : 1/2 cup
- Chana dal / kadala parippu : 1.5 tspn
- Urad dal / uzhunnu parippu : 1 tspn
- Asafoetida / kayam : small block/ 1/2 tspn
- Red chilly : 3-5
- Fenugreek / uluva : 1/4 tspn
- Coriander seeds : 1 tblspn
- Curry leaves : 1 spring
To temper :
- Mustard : 1/2 tspn
- Red chilly : 1
- Fenugreek : A pinch
- Chopped onion : 1 tspn
- Curry leaves : 2 spring
- Asafoetida powder : A pinch
- Pressure cook thoor dal turmeric powder and small onion with enough water.
- Once it cooked well add in cubed carrots,drumstick pieces and potato
- Cook it well by adding salt.
- Now add in ladies inger and chopped tomato.
- Cook it well
- Meanwhile heat apan with oil.
- Add in all the ingredients listed under "to grind".Coconut grated Chana dal / kadala parippu Urad dal / uzhunnu parippu Asafoetida / kayam small block Red chilly Fenugreek / uluva Coriander seeds and Curry leaves .
- Roast it well till it turn golden brown in colour.
- Let it cool and grind it in to a smooth paste.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water and take the extract.
- Add tamarind extract to the cooked veggies and let it boil.
- Now add ground paste and mix it well.
- Add in coriander leaves too.
- Heat another pan with oil and add mustards.Let it splutter.
- Now add in fenugreek seeds urad dal red chillies chopped onion and curry leaves.
- Pour the sesoning to the sambar.Sprinkle asafoetida powder.
- Delicious varutharacha sambar is ready to serve