One of my favorite side dish!We can use almost all the parts of banana tree in one way or the other.Mom used to make Pindiyum parippum with banana stem and vazhakkay achinga payar mezhukkupuratti with raw banana and a delicious stir fry with raw plantain peel and green gram, that is her masterpiece recipe....
Almost all the parts of banan plant are useful.Stem,leaf flower and fruit all are useful in one form or another.Banan leaf is used in all most all the Hindu festivals for pooja and for srving sadya.You know Im a die hard fan of lunch serving in vazhayila :P.Show the leaf in fire for some times just wilt it and pack your lunch in it Awwwwwww..no words to explain..so tasty..once you open your lunch the whole are will come to you :)
Still I remember my mom used to pack lunch for me in banan leaf with chammanthi and papaya stir fry ...
- Banana flower / Vazha chundu (koombu) : 1
- Greenn gram / cheru payar : 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
To crush :
- Grated coconut : 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Green chilly : 3
- Garlic : 4 cloves
- Shallots : 5
To temper :
- Mustard : 1/2 tspn
- Dry ed chilly : 2
- Curry leaves : 2 spring
- Remove the outer layer of banana flower and chop it finely.Grease your hands with little oil .Handling with banan flower may make your hands black.
- Pressure cook green gram with enough water and salt. Drain it and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil ,
- Add in all the ingredients listed under "to temper"
- Add in chopped banana flower and stir it well.
- Add in turmeric and salt.Mix it well
- Close the pan with its lid and cook it in low flame,No need to add water.
- Once the banana flower is soft add in cooked green gram and mix it well.
- Now grind all the ingredients listed under "to grind "
- Add it with the cooked banana flower,and stir well.
- Delicious vazha chundu payaru thoran is ready to serve!!!!!