The University of Mumbai (known earlier as University of Bombay) is one of the oldest and premier Universities in India. It was established in 1857 consequent upon "Wood's Education Dispatch", and it is one among the first three Universities in India. The name University of Mumbai was called so only in 1996 when the name of the town was changed to Mumbai.
The motto of the university is “The fruit of Learning is Good Character and Righteous Conduct”. The university has always followed the motto to the core of all its functions.
The University was accorded 5 star status in 2001 & 'A' grade status in April 2012 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). It has been granted University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) status by UGC and PURSE Scheme by DST
Campus of University of Mumbai Initially the university campus was at the Bombay fort but was later moved to Kalina. The fort campus is still used as a base for the administrative work of the university. The fort campus has the famous Rajabai Clock tower which has developed to become a symbol of the University of Mumbai
Facilities at University of Mumbai -
- Class Rooms
- Computing Facility
- Sports Facility
School of distance education:
Distance & Open Learning is a distinct approach to impart education to learners who are removed in space and / or time from the teachers or the teaching institution on account of economic, social and consideration. A need for such an approach was felt by the University of Mumbai and hence it established the Directorate of Correspondence Courses in the year 1971-72. In the year 1993, the Directorate of Distance Education was upgraded as ‘Institute of Distance Education’ It thus acquired a status as a ‘University Institution’.
- Internationally, the University of Mumbai was ranked 41 among Top 50 engineering schools in the world by Business Insider in the year 2012
- It was ranked 3rd best university in Asia in terms of graduate students as percentage of total students and the 2nd best Multi Disciplinary University in India by Asiaweek in the list of Aisa's best Universities 2000
- In the year 2013 the University of Mumbai ranked fifth in the list of top ten best universities in India by India Today
- It was ranked at 62 in the QS BRICS University rankings for 2013, a ranking of leading universities in the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa)
- It was ranked 10th among the top Universities of India by QS in 2013
- The University of Mumbai has been given the highest ranking of five stars by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- It was ranked 18th in the world for having the maximum Ultra High Net Worth Alumni Population. It was number one in the list among universities from emerging economies
know more about University of Mumbai fees structure .