A yummy fish recipe..!Sardines are one of the cheapest fish available in Kerala but sardines are rich in vit.D and protein.It is a good source of omega 3 fatty acid.
"meen pollichathu"is a traditional Kerala dish and it will tastes heavenly.One of my friends asked me for the recipe and then I decided to make it.Did you check my nadan mathi curry/kerala sardines curry
- Sardines /mathi : 8 (1/2 kg)
- Pepper powder : 1/2 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Banana leaf : 3 to 4(pieces )
- Shallots /kunjulli (sliced ) : 3/4 cup
- Tomato (chopped) : 1
- Ginger chopped : 1 tablspn
- Garlic chopped : 5 cloves
- Kashmiri chilly powder : 1.5 tspn
- Thick coconut milk : 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves : 4 springs
- Coconut oil
- Clean the fish and make narrow slits on both sides .
- Marinate it with pepper powder,chilly powder,salt and turmeric powder
- Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Now heat a pan with oil.Add curry leaves and then place the sardines on it.
- Fry both the sides for few minutes.
- Drain and keep it aside.
- To the same pan add sliced shallots.Saute it well until it turn golden brown
- Add chopped ginger and garlic
- Then add chopped tomato and saute it again
- Now add chilly powder and mix it well
- Saute it well until it turns mushy.
- Now add coconut milk and cook it in low flame
- Once the gravy turns thick switch off the stove
- Now take the plantain leaves and wash it well
- Hold the leaves over the flame for few seconds so that we can wrap the fishes easly
- Place 2 tblspn of masala on the banana leaf and keep the fried sardines over it. (two or three sardines)
- Cover the fish with more masala
- Now wrap the bananan leaf just like parcel.You can tie the parcel with "vazhanaru"(fibre obtaining from stem of banana plant).It was not available for me.
- Heat a non stick thawa and place the parcels on it
- Cook both the sides in low flame for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Yummy mathi pollichathu is ready to serve!
- My mom in law used to add coriander powder too.If you like add 1/2 tspn of coriander powder too.
- Instead of non stick thawa use clay pott(manchatti).It will give traditional taste.Coveer the claypott with its lid and cook it in low flame.
- You can add a small piece of fish tamarind(kudam puli) while preparing gravy.It will give a different taste.
- I will recommend you to use coconut oil