Malabar cuisine is blessed with lots of spicy and aromatic dishes.This is one of the traditional recipes from Malabar ,Northen side of Kerala.For festivals and celebrations Malabar Muslims used to prepare it.I got this recipe from my hostel mate
- Basmati rice : 1/2 kg
- Cinnamon : 1 stick
- Cardamom : 2
- Clove : 2
- Bay leaf : 1
- Ghee : 2 tspn
For meat masala:
- Beef/mutton : 1/2 kg
- Onion (sliced ) : 2 big
- Tomato (chopped ) : 1
- Green chilly : 2
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tblspn
- Coriander powder : 2 tspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Pepper powder : 1 tspn
- Garam masala : 2 tspn
- Coriander leaves : handful
- Clean and cut the meat in to small pieces and marinate with turmeric powder and salt.Keep aside
- Soak basmati rice for 15 to 30 minutes and drain .Keep it aside
- Heat a pressure cooker/pan with oil
- Add onion and sauté it well
- Add chopped tomato and green chillies.Sauté it again
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté it well till it leaves the raw smell
- Now add Coriander powder ,pepper powder and garam masla to it.
- Add meat to it and mix well.Add little water.
- Meat tends to ooze out water so don't add more water
- Cook it well(if you are using pressure cooker after one whistle keep the stove in low flame for 15 minutes)
- Heat another pan/pressure cooker with oil and ghee.
- Add cinnamon,clove ,cardamom and bay leaf.
- Add drained rice and fry it for few minutes.
- Now add cooked meat with gravy
- Mix it well and add water up to 1 inch top of rice.
- Cook it for one whistle.
- Once steam subsides aopen the lid and add coriiander leaves and mix the erachi choru well and serve it hot with raita or pickle