Again here i am with an absolutely scrumptious chicken curry. This is a traditional style spicy Kerala chicken curry with coconut milk.
It is a great side dish for rice, parotta, chapathi, Appam and even for idly .Yesterday I prepared it for my hubby because he had been asking for it since many days. We enjoyed it with ghee rice .
- Chicken : 1/2 kg
- Onion ( sliced ) : 3
- Tomato (chopped ) : 1
- Ginger : 1"piece
- Garlic : 10 cloves
- Chilly powder : 1 tblspn
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Coriander powder : 2 tblpn
- Garam masala powder : 1 tblspn
- Thin coconut milk : 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk :1/2 cup
- Cinnamon / patta : 1 stick
- Clove / grampoo : 3
- Cardamom / elakka : 3
- Star anise : 2
- Fennel seeds /perum jeerakam : 1/2 tspn
- Whole black pepper /kurumulaku : 1/2 tspn
For last seasoning:
- Mustard / kaduku : 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves : handfull
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Wash and clean the chicken.
- Grind both ginger and garlic together to make a fine paste.
- Marinate chicken pieces with salt, turmeric powder and ginger garlic paste.
- Meanwhile heat a pan with oil.
- Add all the ingredients listed under "To temper".
- Add onion and saute it well till it turns light brown in colour
- Add chopped tomato and saute it well till it gets mashed with onion. Add a few curry leaves too.
- Now add chilly powder, coriander power and garam masala powder. Stir it well until oil comes out.
- Add marinated chicken pieces and stir it well until the pieces get coated with the masala.
- Close the pan and keep the stove in simmer mode.
- Cook it till the moisture gets absorbed. Don't add water.
- Now add 1 cup of thin coconut milk and cook it for another 15 minutes on a low flame.
- Add salt if necessary.
- Now add thick coconut milk and wait for 3 minutes.
- Heat another pan with oil.
- Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Pour it to the cooked chicken gravy.
- Yummy yummy chicken curry is ready.