No South Indian meal is complete without sambar.It is a dish with many variations.Different states following different recipes .Even Kerala itself we can see different recipes for sambar.In malabar side people used to prepare sambar in roasted coconut.But in central kerala people wont add coconut in sambar.
My mom prepares delicious sambar but she never used store bought sambar powder.And she prepares it in "kalchatti"(vessel made up off stone)I think that is the traditional method.Hope I can post it..I'm following an easy method..
- Thoor dal/thuvara parippu:50 gm
- Drumstick/muringakka(cut in to 4" pieces):1
- Ladies finger/vendakka(cut in to 2 pieces):4
- Shallots/kunjulli:10(or 1 onion)
- Green chilly:1
- Chilly powder:1 tspn
- Turmeric powder:1/4 tspn
- Coriander powdr:2 tspn
- Sambar powder:2 tspn
- Tamarind/puli:Gooseberry size/nellikka valuppam
- Mustard :1/2 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds/uluva:1/4 tspn
- Shallots/kunjulli(chopped):1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilly:2
- Curry leaves:1 spring
- Coriander leaves:handful
- Asafoetida powder:1/4 tspn
- Wash and cook thoor dal with shallots and asafoetida.
- Add carrot,potato, green chilly and drumstick.
- Add chilly powder.sambar powder,turmeric powder and salt.
- Close the vessel with a lid and cook.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add tomato and ladies finger.
- Saute it well and add it to cooked vegies with thoor dal.
- Mix the tamarind with water and discard the seeds and rind of the ramanid.Filter it.
- Add the tamarind water to the cooked vegetables.
- Let it boil.
- Heat a pan with with oil.
- Let the mustard to splutter.
- Add fenugreek seeds and dry red chilly
- Add chopped shallots and curry leaves.
- Add coriander powder and stir it well.
- Pour it in to the cooked vegies with thoor dal.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and asafoetida powder.
- Close it with lid for few minutes and serve it hot with rice or idly and dosa.
PS:For home made sambar powder:roast and grind 4 red chillies,1/2 tspn fenugreek seeds.1/4 tspn cumin seeds,1/4 tspn pepper corn,1 tblspn coriander seeds