I tasted it from my collegues home for the first time.And after that several times I tried it in my home.Here in Tamil nadu birinji is serving as a special dish for special occasions.
- Basmati rice:2 cup(I used 200 ml cup)
- Onion sliced:2 big
- Tomato chopped:1 big
- Carrot cubed:1 big
- Beans chopped:8
- Potato cubed:1 big
- Cauli flower shredded:2,3 fist full
- Green chillies:2
- Chilly powder:1 tspn
- Garam masala powder:1/2 tspn
- Coconut milk:1 cup
- Water:2 cup
- Grated coconut:1/2 cup
- Garlic:10 cloves
- Coriander leaves:handful
- Mint leaves:handful
- Bay leaf :2
- Cinnamon/Patta:1 stick
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 minutes.Drain it and keep aside.
- Grind the ingredients listed under"to grind".(I didn't grind mint and coriander leaves simply added while sauteing).Keep it aside.
- Heat the pressure pan with ghee and oil.
- Add all the ingredients listed under "to temper".
- Add sliced onion and saute it well until it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add chopped tomato.
- Saute it well till it get mashed with onion.
- Add ground paste and fry it well.
- Add green chillies,chilly powder and garam masala powder.Stir it well.
- Add vegetables and salt.Saute it well.
- Add basmati rice and saute it well.
- Add coconut milk and water.
- Cover the pressure pan and place the weight.
- Weight for one whistle.
- Switch off the flame and let the cooker cool.
- Yummy birinji is ready to serve.
sending this to delectable flavours