Wednesday 22 January 2014

Gothambu puttu/Steamed wheat cake

                    Gothambu puttu/Steamed wheat cake







                                                                        












                                                   

         When I was in hostel thursday morning  was my fasting time.I couldnt eat the puttu that they served.So ,that time itself puttu was in my blacklist.Though it is the most preferred breakfast item in Kerala I avoided it from my life!After marriage when I started working in chennai I focussed on idly sambar for  6 days in a week.Finally my hubby started reacting and for me no other way to surrender so again started loving puttu.The main reason was easy to prepare and no need of any side dish.Even with a banana or simply with sugar we finihed it. (kadala curry is the best combination)When I went to kerala for a short vacation my hubby tried it by getting motivation from me (I used to say" puttu...ohh so easy!)But everything ended up with a disaster.My cousine too shared the same flop story with me.Her first attempt with putu was a flop..and after that she was not courageous to make puttu.Now a days again I heard some disaster stories from newly married friends.So decided to post it,Puttu the most iconic breakfast of Kerala!Rice flour was not available in my kitchen so I prepared it with wheat flour.You can make any kind of puttu by using this recipe.

did you check my kerala puttu kadala curry


Ingredients:


  • Wheat flour:2 cup
  • Grated coconut:1/2 cup( you can use more)
  • Water
  • Salt

Method:


  • Add salt to puttu podi and mix it well.
  • Sprinkle water little by little till the flour gets wet.
  • Add 1/4 cup of grated coconut and mix it well using fingers without any lumps.
  • To check the wetness of the puttu flour just press it with your fingers if you can make balls with it, it is in correct wetness .At the same time the flour should be loose and runny just like shown in the picture.
  • If you have blender or food processor it will be easy.
  • Take the puttukudam(Pot:puttu maker) and fill it with water.Let it boil.
  • Now fill the puttukutty(mould:long upper portion with handle) with little coconut.Before that dont forget to place "chillu"(a round disc getting with puttu maker).
  • Then put 5 tblspn of wet wheat flour. If you nedd you can again add grated coconut and then puttu flour.
  • Repeat the process unitl the mould is filled.
  • Place the puttukutty(puttu maker) on puttu kudam.
  • Cook it in medium flame for 5 to 8 minutes.
  • Take hot puttu from puttukutty by pressing it with.
PS:Moisture level of puttu flour is most important.



5 comments:

  1. I have not tried with wheat flour... Let me try and will let u know... looks so healthy and good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..It is so tasty ..even with ghee and sugar you can finish one "kutty puttu"

      Delete
  2. wow... your steps says it is easy to make. Only need to concentrate on the moisture level... we used to make puttu by spreading a cloth in idly pot only...

    can you share the pic of puttukudam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh sure dear...I updated with puttumaker picture!
      And I'm sure taste will be different for both spreaded puttu and kutty puttu..

      Delete
  3. Well explained.. and perfectly done Puttu..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...