Kakkayirachi roast/ Clam roast
I'm from Alappuzha the Venice of the East ,a district of God's own country.The district has a net work of rivers,canals and back waters.So we cant avoid clam from our diet.But when I left my village,I included this too in my "nostalgic list".
My father loved clams stir fry a lot.Amma (mom)used to prepare clams with tapioca too.But my husband loves to eat clam roast only.So Yesterday I prepared clam roast.
- Clams:1/2 kg
- Pepper powder:2tspn
- Turmeric powder:1/4tspn
- Ginger chopped:2tspn
- Garlic chopped:2tspn
- Chilly powder:1tspn
- Garam masala:1/2tspn
- Mustard seeds:1/4tspn
- Onion:1 big(sliced)
- Coconut pieces thinly sliced:1tblspn
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Wash the clams well.
- Boil water in pan and add clams to it.Wait for few minutes and drain it .
- Squeeze out the black coloured dirt present inside the clams.
- Wash it again.
- Cook it for 10 minute with 1 tblspn salt water.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds.When it splutters add chopped ginger and garlic.Give a quick fry.
- Add curry leaves,coconut pieces and onion.Fry it well.
- Add pepper powder,fennel powder,chilly powder and salt.
- Now add clams and roast it well.
- Serve it with rice, roti,or even with puttu.(steamed rice cake).