Jishna Sajesh one of my good friends and an amazing cook tempted me a lot by saying about the combo of pathiri and chicken curry :) She is from Kannore(one of the districts coming under Malabar) I used to call her as brand ambassador of Malabar recipes in this area :)Malabar is the northen part of Kerala blessed with thousands of tasty dishes .
Ney pathiri is a deep fried crispy rice roti,served with mutton curry beef curry or chicken curry.But it is good with tomato curry also! For preparing ney pathiri we dont want super fine rice flour.So you may soak parboiled rice and grind it in to a coarse mixture.Or use normal Puttu flour / rice flour.Any method you can select.Im a lazy lady and always trying to find out easy methods without compromising the taste, so I prefer the second one!
- Rice flour / Puttu podi : 2 cups
- Grated coconut : 1 cup
- Shallots / cheriya ulli : 6-7
- fennel / Perum jeerakam : 1tspn
- Water : 1.5 - 2 cups
- Salt : 1 tspn
- Oil : 1 tspn
- Heat a pan and dry roast rice flour and keep aside .
- Grind coconut shallots and fennel in to a coarse paste.
- Boil water with little salt and oil.Add in roasted rice flour and ground paste.
- Mix it well and make soft dough.
- Place a plastic sheet on a plain surface.
- Now make small balls from the kneaded dough and place it on one end of the plastic sheet.
- Cover it with another end and press gently with a lid