Im a big fan of rice dishes.I often try different style biriyanis , fried rices and pulaos.This is a typical kerala style pulao and I served it with chicken curry and onion salad.
Many of my friends used to ask doubts regarding the difference between pulao and biriyani.I think in one of my posts i cleared the doubt but again im saying the answer that ..pulavu is the milder version of biriyani..The main difference between biriyani and pulao is that,in pulao we use only very less spices but biriyani contains more spices and it is a colourful aromatic and rich dish.You can use any side dish of your choice with pulao or even curd will goes well with it.
This a typical keral pulao with good naroma and taste.Im sure you may enjoy it with any side dish of your choice may be veg or non veg.
Here I used nuts and raisins together with spices and veggies.it will give richness to the dish.
serving size : 3
- Basmati rice : 1.5 cups
- cinnamon : 1 stick
- Star anise : 1
- Caedamom : 3
- Clove : 3
- Ginger : 1'piece
- Garlic : 10 cloves
- Green chilly : 2
- Ghee : 2 tblspn
- Water : 2 & 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves chopped : 1 tblspn
To fry :
- Carrot grated : 1 medium sized
- Onion sliced : 1 medium size
- Green peas cooked : 1/2 cup
- Beans chopped : 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts : 6
- Kismis : 1 tblspn
- Ghee : 2 tblspn
- Heat a pan with ghee fry both cashew and kismis.Drain it and keep aside.
- To the same pan add veggies and onion with little salt.Saute it well.Keep it aside.
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee.Fry cinnamon cardamom star anise and clove.
- Grind ginger garlic and green chilly together ,Add in this paste and mix it well.
- Now add drained rice and salt.Mix it well
- Add in water,and pressure cook it for one whistle in high flame.
- Let the pressure subsides.Now open the cooker and mix the rice gently.
- Mix fried veggies cashew and kismis with rice.Mix gently
- You may mix it in batches.Garnish with coriander leaves
- Yummy vegetable pulao is ready to serve!