Dates are rich in fibers, minerals and iron. I personally feel that it is better to eat dates as such instead of having it in syrup form. But there are some people who don't like eating dates at all but love dates syrup. This recipe is for them.
This dates syrup can be used as an alternative for jam or even sugar. Also, it tastes yummy with milk.(I have heard that consuming milk with dates is not good because the calcium present in the milk will inhibit the absorption of iron. But not sure whether this is true!).
- Dates : 250 gm (I used Lion dates.)
- Water : As required
- Boil the dates in water for 5 minutes. The water level should be above the dates.
- Let it remain in the hot water itself.
- After 15 minutes, take it and grind it into a smooth paste.
- Now filter it and keep the pulp aside.
- Again add 1/2 cup of water into the pulp and squeeze it well. Try to extract maximum contents from the pulp.
- Filter it and pour this filtered water into a vessel.
- Boil it on a medium flame till it turns into syrup form (just like honey).
- When it reaches the right consistency remove from the stove .
- Dates syrup is ready!
- I got 130ml of syrup from 250 gm
Going to Kerala for a short vacation...will be back soon...till then bye!!!!!!!!