Each and every part of a banana tree is useful in one way or the other. Here we are going to prepare a highly nutritious dish using the banana stem. Banana stem is considered to be very helpful in controlling diabetes and kidney stone.
We can prepare it in different ways. Here i am sharing my mom's style of preparing the stir fry, using chana dal . Don't know how to clean and chop it? Check Here
- Vazha pindi / banana stem : 1 small
- Kadala parippu / chana dal : 1/4 cup
- Grated coconut : 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tspn
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Mustard / kaduku : 1/4 tspn
- Black gram / Uzhunnu : 1/4 tspn
- Dry red chilly : 2
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Prepare banana stem for cooking Chop it into small pieces.
- Cook chana dal with enough water and salt on a high flame (Half cooking is enough). After one whistle, switch off the flame .Keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add black gram/ uzhunnu and wait till it turns light brown in colour .
- Add dry red chilly and curry leaves.
- Now add chopped vazha pindi /banana stem and saute it well.
- Add turmeric and chilly powders.
- Mix it well and add cooked chana dal with water. If necessary add an extra 1/4 cup of water. Close the pan and cook it till the vazha pindi / banana stem turns soft.
- If it is a fresh stem, it won't take much time to cook. Meanwhile crush both garlic and grated coconut.
- Add it to the stir fry and mix well.
- If you like dry stir fry keep it on the stove for a few more minutes. Stove should be in simmer mode.
- You may add shallots together with garlic.
- You may replace chana dal with cowpeas or green grams.