It is a very popular North Indian dish. I prepare paneer dishes at home often . My son Kannan loves eating them.Paneer is a great source of calcium and it is rich in proteins and vitamins .So it is good for growing children.
Really it is a tasty paneer preparation and I'm sure you will like it too.I love to take paneer butter masala too.
Check how to make Paneer at home
- Paneer : 200 gm (cubed )
- Green peas : 3/4 cup
- Onion (chopped ) : 1 big
- Tomato (chopped ) : 1 medium
- Green chilly : 1
- Garlic : 4 cloves
- Ginger : 1/2" piece
- Fresh cream : 2 tblspn
- Tomato sauce : 2 tspn (optional )
- Coriander leaves : a few
- Coriander powder : 3/4 tspn
- Chilly powder : 1 tspn
- Garam masala powder : 3/4 tspn
- Cumin powder or cumin / jeerakam : 1/4 tspn
- Soak green peas in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Pressure cook it with salt for 2 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Toast paneer cubes in a kadai or tawa and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add chopped onion, tomato, green chilli, garlic and ginger.
- Saute it well .
- Add all the ingredients listed under "Dry powders". Saute again .
- Let it cool and then grind it in a mixer to make a smooth paste.
- Now heat a pan with a little oil and add the ground mixture .
- Add salt to the gravy.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Saute it well till the raw smell leaves.
- Adjust the thickness by adding enough water.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Now add fresh cream and mix well.
- Add cooked peas and toasted paneer cubes to the gravy.
- Keep the stove on a low flame.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- I love using tomato sauce in mattar paneer. You may replace it with tomatoes.
- I used Amul fresh cream. If cream is not available use 2 tblspn of milk or home made cream (remove cream from milk and store it in the fridge. )